I guess there's little you can do about the decor in the view of the restaurant, talk about 'busy'... but one thing I can suggect is blowing the dust off the photos before you scan, plus taking some glass/window cleaner on a soft cloth & polishing the scanner bed. Both will help leave you much less to do in cleaning up the background! I do think rescanning at a higher res will help...

The cake - I don't know what other people think, but I'd suggest first getting rid of whatever is in the left hand background, it's a very quick job with clone tool/airbrush in photoshop, so it should be in your graphics package too & if the client's willing, cropping & axing the satellite cakes - another good reason for rescanning at higher res to give yourself some wiggle room ..... Then you really need to adjust the levels so you can actually see the midtones in the yellow flowers properly & the texture & shadows on the icing - at the moment they're completely washed out, & just doing this will improve the picture hugely. Give it a go! Then we're onto sharpening/blurring....at the moment the focus is on the fabric in front of the cake, rather than the cake so I'd say a little of both necessary to bring up what you want the spotlight on BUT - All this of course is down to the photographs you've been given, and chargeable to the client because you can spend a LOOOOONG time on this. I reckon if they won't pay, then better scanning is the most they can expect of you - better advise them to get a good photograph taken. It might pay you to team up with a good local photographer whose work you could recommend in future?

I've just paid the taxman & delivered all the damn forms - yes it's that time of year here, and I'm going to reward myself by taking the rest of the afternoon off & taking the dogs out for a run... well, the dogs will be running, I will be wandering along behind enjoying the sunshine.

Franni

Okay. I posted the pics online here: http://www.starqualitydesigns.com/testpics.htm. I put the actual sized pictures below with smaller versions on top so you can see what I am aiming for. I realize that I need to clean up the background in them but any other feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Riva

Franni Vincent wrote:
hi Riva,
If you have the original photos, you shouldn't have a problem - no, scratch that, your ONLY prob should be the quality of the photos.... I recall only too clearly having to remove in photoshop the litter which a client was too stupid/idle to sweep away before taking the photo.... (unfortunately couldn't fix the faces of his sales staff!) But as someone (ross?) said earlier, scanning the originals at a higher resolution's going to be your best bet. Why don't you upload one & give us the URL so we can have a look at it?

Franni

You are currently subscribed to wdvltalk as: unknown lmsubst tag argument: ''