Ok - here are a few more that will give you a giggle

COORS put its slogan, "Turn it loose," into Spanish, where it was read as "Suffer from diarrhoea".

Scandinavian vacuum manufacturer Electrolux used the following in an American campaign: "Nothing sucks like an Electrolux."

Clairol introduced the 'Mist Stick", a curling iron, into German only to find out that “mist" is slang for manure. Not too many people had use for the “manure stick".

Colgate introduced a toothpaste in France called Cue, the name of a notorious porno magazine.

An American. T shirt maker in Miami printed shirts for the Spanish market which promoted the Pope's visit. Instead of "I saw the Pope” (el Papa), the shirts read "I saw the potato” la papa).

Pepsi's "Come alive with the Pepsi Generation' translated into Chinese reads "brings your ancestors back from the grave”.

When Gerber started selling baby food in Africa, they used the same packaging as in the US, with the beautiful Caucasian baby on the label. Later they learned that in Africa, companies routinely put pictures on the label because most people can’t read and the label shows what is actually in the box!

Frank Perclue's chicken slogan, “it takes a strong man to make a tender chicken” was translated into Spanish as “it takes an aroused man to make a chicken affectionate”

'The Coca Cola name in China was first promoted using the Mandarin characters as "Ke kou ke-la", meaning "Bite the wax tadpole” or “female horse stuffed with wax”, depending on the dialect. Coke then researched 40,000 characters to find a phonetic equivalent "ko kou ko le", translating into "happiness in the mouth".

When Parker Pen marketed a ball point pen in Mexico, its ads were supposed to have read, "it won't leak in your pocket and embarrass you". Instead, the company thought that the word "embarazar" meant to embarrass, (whereas it actually means to impregnate) so the ad read. "It won't leak in your pocket and make you pregnant.”

General Motors launched their NOVA car in Spain and couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t sell, despite breaking sales records in most other European Countries. Until, that is, someone pointed out that in Spanish No Va means “It won’t go”.

All these firms have multi-million pound budgets yet didn't spend a few thousand hiring a translator! The perils of working to a budget!!

Peter MacGregor

At 14:23 06/02/2007, you wrote:
On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Peter MacGregor wrote:

> Can't answer that one Tris - but I hope that the
> translations you are given have been done by a
> native of the country! As someone that has been
> involved in International Trade most of my years
> (now 50+) in business, I've seen some real howlers!

Oh yes, there's plenty of special translations out there alright :)

Manuals for cheap chinese crap seem to be particularly bad.

My first motorbike was a 125cc chinese-made bike, based on a suzuki gn125.
It was ridiculously cheap, and actually quite a good bike for the money,
but the manual is a very poor translation into English.

I'll have to dig it out and post some parts of it, but there's things
like:

[in the trouble-shooting section under fuelling issues]:

  "There is no oil in the oil-filled place"

(from the context, I can only think they were trying to say that there's
no petrol in the tank, i.e. it's out of fuel).

Cheers

Dave P

You are currently subscribed to wdvltalk as: unknown lmsubst tag argument: ''