steve miller wrote:
I am building a site for our school that handles signups for trips and such, and we want it to be accessible only from within another site that has a secure login. In other words, we don't want it accessible from search engine links or direct urls. The other site (edline.com) is not owned by us so I can't access user info, but we can place links on it.

I was thinking of looking for the correct http_referer coming in, but I've been told some browsers and/or firewalls might block it from being passed. Any thoughts on how else to confirm the link came in from the right place?

You can't rely on it being passed to you, and you also can't rely on it being correct; it's trivial to spoof.

There's not much in the way of secure methods to validate it that I can think of that wouldn't require the co-operation of the other site.

With enough access to the other site to place server-side scripts on it, you could probably come up with something that redirects the user to your site, along with a "token" calculated by, say, the user's IP along with a secret key known by both sites - your new site could then validate that the token looks correct, and start a session indicating that the user is valid.