est ha scritto:
I am writing a small 'comet'-like app using flup, something like
this:

def myapp(environ, start_response):
    start_response('200 OK', [('Content-Type', 'text/plain')])
    return ['Flup works!\n']        <-------------Could this be part
of response output?

What do you mean by "part of response output"?

Could I time.sleep() for a while then write other
outputs?

Not with flup.

if __name__ == '__main__':
    from flup.server.fcgi import WSGIServer
    WSGIServer(myapp, multiplexed=True, bindAddress=('0.0.0.0',
8888)).run()

So is WSGI really synchronous?

Not really.
Since you can return a generator, it's possible to support asynchronous programming, but the WSGI gateway must support it, as an example with Nginx mod_wsgi and some other implementations (search in the mailing list archive).

But this support has not been standardized.

How can I handle asynchronous outputs
with flup/WSGI ?

Regards  Manlio Perillo