At 07:40 PM 9/21/2009 -0700, Robert Brewer wrote:
Yes; you have to transcode to the "correct" encoding. Once. Then every
other WSGI application interface "below" that one doesn't have to care.

You can only do that if you *break encapsulation*, which as I said earlier is voiding the entire point of having a modular interface.

Having a configurable encoding just means that *every* WSGI application *must* verify the encoding in order to be safe. I'm all in favor of making everyone suffer equally, but all else being equal, I'd prefer them to suffer idempotently rather than conditionally. ;-)