Ian wrote:

some environments provide only the unquoted path.  I think it's not
terribly horrible if they fake it by re-quoting the path.

If they are faking it, there should IMO be a way to flag that it's faked. Then an application that uses IRIs may choose to

a. generate an error, or
b. carry on, don't care about %2F and just hope the encodings match, or
c. fall back to outputting only ASCII URLs.

I also believe you can safely reconstruct the real SCRIPT_NAME/PATH_INFO
from REQUEST_URI, which is usually available

I wouldn't say 'usually', REQUEST_URI is Apache-specific. I haven't checked other servers to see if they copy it, but IIS certainly doesn't.

SCRIPT_NAME/PATH_INFO can differ completely from REQUEST_URI when Apache has done some internal redirection, for example via mod_rewrite or ErrorDocument. It's certainly useful as a fixup possibility (several of my apps optionally use it), but not something that can really be relied upon.

--
And Clover
mailto:a...@doxdesk.com