On 11/24/09 6:44 PM, Ian Bicking wrote:
Have you read the threads on WSGI 2?  These issues are discussed at
length, though they haven't been put into a spec.

Okay, sounds good. I have tried to follow up on the discussion, but there's just too much noise to find out what the consensus is.

The proposal that seemed to work best was to keep the environ as str
(i.e., unicode in Python 3), and eliminate the problematic SCRIPT_NAME
and PATH_INFO, replacing them with url-encoded values.  Also I think
everyone is okay with removing start_response.  All text would be
decoded as latin1 on Python 3 (which allows for transcoding; also most
text is not unicode).  The request and response body would remain bytes.

I assume with "all text" you mean all header text, e.g. all header values.

Can we talk briefly then about wsgi.*? I think we should eliminate them and in their place put a real request object, something very basic that has only what's absolutely necessary to communicate the essential data from the low-level HTTP request.

There is no way that the environment can express an HTTP request. This was a mistake in my view and we should rectify it either in 1.1 or 2.0.

\malthe