Aaron Watters wrote:
On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Chris McDonough <chr...@plope.com>
wrote:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks
seems to be the place where folks
are registering their respective web frameworks.

I'd like to move some of the frameworks which are
currently in the various
categories which haven't been active in a few years.
 In particular, I'd
like to move any framework which hasn't had a release
since the beginning of
2008 (arbitrary) into the "Discontinued / Inactive"
framework category.  I'd
be willing to do the work to make sure I wasn't moving
one that actually
*did* have releases past that but just hadn't updated
the page.
Any dissent?

- C

Why not call them "apparently stable"
versus "under active development"?  Is the
cgi module "discontinued"?

No, but the cgi module has undergone a lot of changes over the last couple of years which were present in Python releases:

http://svn.python.org/view/python/branches/release26-maint/Lib/cgi.py?view=log

I'm a little sensitive on this topic
because people tell me that Gadfly is "inactive"
or "discontinued"
but it still does what it does
as documented very well.

Frequent releases may actually be a sign of bugginess and bad design.

Agreed. On the other hand, though, no release for two years sometimes *does* mean it's dead. It's slightly unfair to the folks who are very actively improving a web framework to live in a "slot" on that page right next to actually-really-dead software because of the vagarities of lexical sorting.

If you suspect a project is really dead, maybe you
could try to contact the authors and ask about
what they think.

Well, that was my intention. I don't want to remove *actually* active or stable-and-still-used packages from the list. Maybe I should just dial back the date to the beginning of 2007 or something.

- C