At 05:42 PM 7/16/2010 -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
P.J. Eby wrote:

> (Hm.  Although actually, I suppose we *could* just borrow the time
> machine and pretend that WSGI called for "byte-strings everywhere"
> all along...)

I like the idea of pushing responsibility for decoding stuff into the
framework / app writer's hands.  OTOH, doesn't that hose authors of
existing middleware, due to the borkedness of working with bytes in Python3?

It only creates a "new" problem if they are currently not using *any* unicode in 2.x, and are passing through bytes from the input to the output without any encoding or decoding. AFAICT, if any part of their app is currently unicode, they would have the same problems in 2.x.

(Minus, of course, any problems introduced by missing bytes methods in 3.x, or the fact that single-subscripted bytes are ints rather than bytestrings.)

Anyway, the problems introduced will be problems that can be solved by waving a fairly standard set of dead chickens at the problem, i.e. picking where you're going to encode/decode, and deciding what encoding(s) are meaningful to your app. And frameworks that already have a unicode API are ahead of the game here.

So, AFAICT, the only people who'd be punished by a change to bytes are the people who have non-ASCII inputs or outputs, but haven't been using unicode (because 2to3 will convert them to using strings instead of bytes).

From what I can tell, though, this is also the group it's most politically correct to hate on in Python-Dev, so we should be relatively safe in shifting the burden to them. ;-)