At 08:34 AM 9/22/2010 -0700, Robert Brewer wrote:
Marcel Hellkamp wrote:
> I would like to add a warning to the WSGI/web3 specification to address
> this issue:
>
> "An application should read all available data from
> `environ['wsgi.input']` on POST or PUT requests, even if it does not
> process that data. Otherwise, the client might fail to complete the
> request and not display the response."

Indeed. CherryPy has protected against this for some time. But it shouldn't be the burden of *applications* to do this; the WSGI "origin" server can do so quite easily.

However, the caveat requires a caveat: servers must still be able to protect themselves from malicious clients. In practice, that means allowing servers to close the connection without reading the entire request body if a certain number of bytes is exceeded.

We can certainly add warnings, although these are both more of a "best practices" advisory rather than a part of the spec per se.