On Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Ian Bicking wrote:
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Daniel Holth <dho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  I stumbled across https://apphosted.com as more web application package
> > and format 'prior art'. It appears to be an App Engine competitor.
> > According to their API documentation, their deployment format is an archive
> > containing a single directory with your WSGI program and a metro.config.
> > They put the database configuration in a settings.py written into the
> > application's root with defined DB_URI, etc.
> >
> There's something that bothers me about using settings.py, though I guess
> it's not that different from a YAML file or whatever, though with a
> cleverness danger.  Conveniently you could do sys.modules['settings'] =
> new.module('settings') and avoid ever making a real file.

I would think something like YAML would be better simply b/c it might fit in
more easily with an implementation that may not use Python. A dashboard app
might want to loop through a bunch of sandboxes and read the listening
ports/hosts for example to help find what it needs to monitor. The converse of
course is that an environment could prescribe something like a port, host,
database string, etc. by updating the YAML file. Again, by using something like
YAML, whatever is provisioning the environment doesn't necessarily need to be
written in Python.

Eric