In a typical production setting you would have a web server exposed to
the internet and a secure local network. The connection with the
database should go only over the local network. ssh will protect you
from employees snooping around (and stealing database password) but
will make the database connection more of a bottleneck. Nor ssh nor
password will protect you in case somebody hacks into the web server
and acquires the credentials of the web server. If your web app can
access the DB, the attacker can too. To some extend one can also
configure the db engine to accept only connections form certain IPs
and limit the roles of the user associated to the web app.

This is why it is very important to try prevent vulnerabilities in web
apps.

Massimo