I've been reading earlier posts on unittests and using doctests in
web2py. I have tried and run some successful doctests in web2py.
However, it seems that the doctest is testing the value that my
function returns, as it should, but is there a way to write a test to
check an intermediate value in my function, say the value of a session
variable that is stored but not returned to the view?

Also, just curious, what are some of the solutions people here in the
group are using for testing and for debugging web2py applications?