Hi morning, I'm not a w2p guru (newbie in fact) but since you don't
have any answer yet, I'm gonna try something.

We should have more info about your setup to answer.
Forgive me about that, but instead of asking you questions, I'm gonna
assume that you don't know the basic things. This will allow me to sum
up my knowledge for myself and check it against the group.

.htaccess are Apache configuration files on a per-directory basis. If
you don't use Apache, .htaccess files are useless.
Now if you use Apache, I *think* that since w2p does the routing
without considering a real directory structure, the .htaccess is
useless too. But this part is still quite obscure to me. What do you
use to call Python, mod_proxy, mod_wsgi?

Anyway, if you have python on the server you use, I guess you have
enough control on the server conf not to use .htaccess files.

Hope this helps...