You can have custom forms. You always could. Since version 1.48
(posted today) it is even easier:

#in model:

db.define_table('mytable',SQLField('myfield'))

#in controller:

def index():
    form=SQLFORM(db.mytable)
    if form.accepts(request.vars,session):
         response.flash='form accepted'
    return dict(form=form)

#and in view:

{{extend 'layout.html'}}

<form>
<label>{{=db.mytable.myfield.label}}</label>
<input name="myfield" value="{{=form.latest.myfield}}" />
{{if form.errors.myfield:}}{{=form.errors.myfield}}{{pass}}
<input type="submit" />
{{=form.hidden_fields()}}
</form>

Massimo