Hello,

I'm trying to use pexpect from web2py with limited success. What I
notice is that web2py doesn't treat the object like a normal python
program would.

A simple example (my real program creates ssh sessions this is just to
demonstrate the issue):

with ajax I call two functions:

first it calls
def open_file():
    do_file('create')
    message = 'created'
    return dict(message=message)

then it calls
def data_file():
    info =request.vars.values()[0]
    do_file('hello this program is crap)
    message = 'stored info into file'
    return dict(message=mesage)

Then we have the controller function which does it

def do_file(param1):
    if param1 == 'create':
        child=pexpect.spawn('nano -wc myfile.txt')
    else:
        child.sendline(param1)
        child.close()

Now it says that the second time:

UnboundLocalError: local variable 'child' referenced before assignment

When I try to store the child object in a session variable I get the
error that it can't store file objects.

Is there anyway I can make web2py keep its reference to the object so
I can keep using it?