Well - you cannot use the BUT datatype portably.... you can set it up w/
SQL;I think the point is understanding if you really need to...

For example, if you're looking at legacy / existing database, and want to
manipulate results, then yes you can - with work & SQL....

But you cannot use BIG with DAL, but you can directly, and loose the DAL
checks and validators (but write your own for that).

If you want to write a new app and want to specifically use BIG, that's a
different discussion...

But - as Massimo pointed out - this is outside the "mainstream" of web2py
application creation, since BIG is not a generally portable data type.