Fran, thanks.

Yeah, I had seen the .element(...) mod. That should allow me to locate
and rip the download URL from the HTML tree and put it in an IMG tag.
Not the prettiest way, and I would like to have something that works
in production 1.54. So I will maintain my question on how to retrieve
the download URL from a SQLFORM.

Re T2 -- my work process over the past weeks (on and off) with web2py
has been to try T2, to get stuck, then to try SQLFORM, to get stuck
again, and to finally hack my way to a solution using a mix of
SQLFORM, regular FORM and/or form_factory -- with some superfast
support from this forum, where needed. More than anything else, it's
the lack of a single ONE way to do it that is frustrating and time
consuming: having to try X different ways to get (IMO) basic
functionality to work.

Given my own experiences, I am surprised you found that T2 does most
of what you need. Maybe I should give it another shot. Care to share
some T2 secrets? ;-)

Cheers,
-Peter