I quote from Firebird's documentation:

Creating a Database

You can define the default character set for a new database in the
CREATE DATABASE statement:

CREATE DATABASE <database>
  USER <username>
  PASSWORD <password>
  PAGE_SIZE <pagesize>
  DEFAULT CHARACTER SET <charset>

For example:

CREATE DATABASE localhost:meter
  USER SYSDBA
  PASSWORD masterkey
  PAGE_SIZE 4096
  DEFAULT CHARACTER SET ISO8859_1;

>From now on, any VARCHAR or CHAR field will default to the ISO8859_1
character set. You can, however, specify a special character set for
each column:

CREATE TABLE users (
  CZECH_NAME VARCHAR(50) CHARACTER SET ISO8859_2,

I also remember reading somewhere that as of Firebird 2.something you
can specify this in some variety of settings file. Apologies, can't
get my self to dig any further in the docs, it's somwhere there!