Basically, is there any code that receives control when an application
first starts that allows some initialisation/configuration that
doesn't have to run after every request?

I believe code could be put in db.py but that is not ideal
conceptually - and would run on every request?

I can see that there are pros and cons to the idea of "on start" code
and would be interested in peoples' views.