Very interesting!  I didn't know that up() was a web2py function.

I just set it as an alias to os.path.dirname on this line:

up=os.path.dirname

Here is a version then that does not use up() so there are no naming
conflicts.

import os
import sys
aa=os.path.dirname
sys.path.append(aa(aa(aa(os.path.abspath(__file__)))))
from gluon.sql import drivers

Paul