Greetings everyone!

This is my first post on this forum.   My appreciation (in advance)
for any help any of you can lend me.

SYNOPSIS:  My app uses Web2py along with MS Sql Server.   I placed a
unique constraint on a column in my SQL table, and if a user attempts
to enter a duplicate value in this column (and thus firing the SQL
UNIQUE constraint error), I want Web2py to gracefully flash a custom
error to the user.

If MS SQL throws any other kind of non integrity-related errors, then
I would still like the Web2py ticket system to kick in and provide the
more informative message to the user.

Here's the code I tried:

    try:
        if items_form.accepts(request.vars,session,keepvalues=True) :
            response.flash='Record was saved'
        elif items_form.errors:
            response.flash='Form has errors'
    except IntegrityError:
            response.flash='Possible Duplicate Item ID - Please try
again!'

Which then generated this error ticket info:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "E:\Python\web2py_src\web2py\gluon\restricted.py", line 62, in
restricted
    exec ccode in environment
  File "E:\Python\web2py_src\web2py\applications\BossWalk/controllers/
items.py", line 282, in <module>
  File "E:\Python\web2py_src\web2py\gluon\globals.py", line 55, in
<lambda>
    self._caller=lambda f: f()
  File "E:\Python\web2py_src\web2py\applications\BossWalk/controllers/
items.py", line 269, in items_upsert
    except IntegrityError:
NameError: global name 'IntegrityError' is not defined

NOTE: If I take the 'IntegrityError' string out  of the 'Except' line,
the process does use 'flash' to show the custom error message when the
MS SQL unique constraint is violated.

But..... I'm surmising that it will also show that *same* message if
ANY type of MS SQL exception gets thrown... not just the unique
constraint / integrity error.

To summarize:   I would like to flash the custom error when an SQL
integrity error is thrown, and fall back on the ticketing system if MS
SQL throws any other kind of error.

Is this possible?

Thanks!!!

Todd B.