FINAL OBSERVATION AND REQUEST FOR FEEDBACK.....................

Here's the final bit of feedback/info I can offer.

At the suggestion of a co-worker, I logged onto the server where our
Web2py app is hosted, and brought up an IDLE Python session.   I typed
in the following lines to determine if native PYODBC could delete a
row from a SQL Server table with foreign keys on it.   If successful,
then this would most likely point back to Web2py in some fashion.
(Note: The important connection string parms below have been "dummied"
out for security reasons)

import pyodbc
cnxn = pyodbc.connect('DRIVER={SQL
Server};SERVER=myserver;DATABASE=BossWalk;UID=mylogin;PWD=mypassword')
cursor = cnxn.cursor()
cursor.execute("delete FROM BW_Items where id=3986")
cnxn.commit()

The verdict?    SUCCESS!

The row was deleted from the problematic (at least to Web2py) BW_Items
table using PYODBC via a Python IDLE session.

So...... can ANYONE venture a guess at why Web2py may not be able to
delete a row from this table?

Thanks,

Todd B.