unfortunately my server is even older. I had exactly the same error
with my insert (my select was ok) but I thought the fault was the
table was not journaled (it is not by default) and you can not update
tables not journaled.

Why do you think this is a bug? Did you try to journal your table and
see if you still have the 7008 error?

I am trying to journal my tables and see what happens but I am not
administrator of as400 server.

carlo