Thanks, Yarko, I'll check it out. I'm now certain that at least some
of my problems has been from using an older version of web2py. I'm now
up to date, but this is the 2nd time that's happened to me in the
couple weeks, which is about how long I've been learning web2py.

I'm still running into trouble with authentication. The new error
message seems to point to the guts of the auth login. Here's a
trace ...

Error traceback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "gluon/restricted.py", line 98, in restricted
  File "C:/web2py/applications/QTRAX/controllers/default.py", line 50,
in <module>
  File "gluon/globals.py", line 75, in <lambda>
  File "C:/web2py/applications/QTRAX/controllers/default.py", line 34,
in login
  File "gluon/tools.py", line 523, in loginAttribute
Error: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'fields'

I have in default.py ...
def login(): return dict(form=auth.login(next='profile'))