How can custom template tags be implemented in Web2py.

There are times when it is good to let the template designer "pull"
information into a template without having the model anticipate
everything in advance the template might need.  I've used this pattern
a lot with php-smarty, django, expression engine, wordpress etc.

something like {{products =  getProducts(categories=(5,7,9)
include_inactive=false) }}

{{for product in products:}}

and so on

I'm probably missing something really simple here, but I've searched
for variations on "custom template tag" and can't find anything.

Thanks,

--greg--