I have lurked on this list for well over a year but have never made
any web app above demo level.

Now I would like to make an interface to the vacation program on our
GNU/Linux mail server so that our mailusers can customize and enable/
disable their out of office message. Next I would like to make another
simple interface so that the users can reset their mail server
password. Both applications will be very simple and I hope I will
learn a lot from it. (I know I could install a huge framework like
horde or equivalent and even MS Exchange to get this functionality but
I prefer a simple solution without getting locked in). I hope these
two applications can be of use to other Linux mail admins as well.

I have noticed that there are a lot of very skilled people on this
list and that they use web2py professionally but I'm lacking to see
and study some rather large applications. I got this idea that if
web2py is so productive and easy to use why not kick off a lot of web
application frontends to various opensource projects. Something like
"Web2py Extreme Makeover". This way knowledge of web2py would rise.

Really small apps: 1-2 times a month we could do a "Application of the
Week". The week before we make a specification and then implement it
in a sprint the next week. The goal should be a fully working app with
nice css layout and documentation. We could implement a poll to choose
which application to do next.

Maybe every other month in a similar way we could make an "Application
of the Month" for larger projects.

Some of my ideas:

Frontend for openvz virtual Linux machines:
http://wiki.openvz.org/Main_Page
Openvz just scales amazingly well for virtual Linux environments. Try
out a cool bare metal installer and their VE interface (You can even
evaluate it in a vmware):
http://www.proxmox.com/cms_proxmox/en/products/proxmox-ve/
I would like to make a similar VE control interface in web2py and
focus on user_beancounter reports and calculations. This could be
rather usefull for web2py as openvz can be used to host a lot of
web2py appliances. We could maybe setup some demo accounts on the fly.

rdiff-backup:
http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/
Wouldn't it be cool if your users could recreate version x of a file
from last week using a webapp in stead of the commandline?

Support site:
Build a top class application for handling support tickets but there a
lot of contenders in this field.

Team sport site:
A site where all kinds of sport teams can schedule trainings,
competitions, mailing lists and so on.

V4L:
Frontend/backend for Video4Linux so that you could schedule your
recordings and maybe integrate with mythtv and/or freevo.

What do you say? Possible or a far off day dream?

Peter