A lot of free documentation is available, including example code in
the posts on this mailing list.

The web2py book is very reasonably priced, especially in PDF form. As
I understand it, the documentation is in the form of a proper
publication because Massimo has developed web2py in the context of his
job as a lecturer at DePaul University. As an associate professor, his
employers judge his performance mainly on the number of publications
he makes. Unfortunately free documentation wouldn't count, hence the
deal with Wiley to publish the book.

There is an effort to develop a comprehensive web2py wiki that is in
its early stages. It's available here https://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/wiki

Chris