On Mar 31, 10:48 am, Fran <francisb...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 5:13 pm, Yarko Tymciurak <yark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Before you export from excel, you should be able to set your date field
> > format to something that will work, for example, in  format cells -> number
> > -> Custom
> > set the field to yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss
>
> > That matches what you are saying the field "should be", and excel should
> > then export in this format to csv.
>
> Thanks a lot, that works.
> I'd previously tried setting to 'generasl' hoping it would lave well-
> alone.
> Perhaps 'text' was what I meant.
>
> Anyway, no way we can get Web2Py to allow either format for entry?

The point is:

1) should web2py enforce a csv convention
2) should web2py be customizable to read any CSV

So far we followed the approach 1) since it is easier to convert a CSV
using excel that write the code for your own customization.
Moreover 2) is never going to satisfy everybody and the csv module is
very flexible anyway. You can use IS_DATE(format)(value)[0] to convert
to ISO yourself from any format.