Thanks for your suggestion Manuele. I have installed GDAL and also tried
point 1, but then I get stuck as web2py throws the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/www/web2py/gluon/restricted.py", line 209, in restricted
    exec ccode in environment
  File "/usr/share/web2py/applications/hello_world/models/db.py"
<https://3vialy.com/admin/default/edit/3v2/models/db.py>, line 132, in <module>
    migrate=True
  File "/var/www/web2py/gluon/dal.py", line 7033, in define_table
    table = self.lazy_define_table(tablename,*fields,**args)
  File "/var/www/web2py/gluon/dal.py", line 7064, in lazy_define_table
    polymodel=polymodel)
  File "/var/www/web2py/gluon/dal.py", line 784, in create_table
    srid = self.srid
AttributeError: 'MySQLAdapter' object has no attribute 'srid'

when I set migrate=True. Apparently, the fieldtype starting with 'geo' is
causing an issue. Any further clues?

many thanks
Calvin

   -