I am reading actually about unit testing and doctest in docstring should be
pretty small, as a rule of thumb it should be less longer than you
docstring documentation.

But, it says too that it pretty convenient to have at least one doctest in
docstring since it could help a lot in identifying outdated docstring since
if you refactor you code without touch you docstring your doctest should
failed so you know you are good for a bit of documentation pleasure.

I read too that docstring can be kept apart the docstring a .txt file, so
the long unit test should go there.

So when doctest help you better understand and document the purpose of the
code and if it is short it should go in docstring if it get bloated you can
move it in .txt file apart.

Richard