Do you mean like this:

def uploadfile():
    filelist = SQLFORM.smartgrid(db.productdatafiles,links=dict(table_a=[
                            lambda row: A('Duplicate',
                                _class='button',
                                _onclick='return confirm("Duplicate %s?")'
% row.po_number,
                                _href=URL('duplicate_po',args=[row.id])),
                            lambda row: A('Print', _class='button',
_href=URL('print_all',args=[row.id]))]),
)
    return dict(filelist=filelist)

I tried this, I dont get any errors but I don't see any new buttons or
links on my grid either. Am I doing something wrong?

Simon