perfect!
NB: Before screaming that web2py isn't working you'd normally have to run
whatever external module you're trying to use and understand how it works.

PS: I don't have a python installation at hand to try xmlwitch, but as long
as that bit goes into exception there is no way web2py can execute that
snippet and return your precious xml. try with return str(xml).

PS2: package is 2 year old, docs are offline. Maybe it's time to ditch the
awful piece of code and start using lxml ^_^