If web2py actually encrypt sessions, that will take quite some time, and
saving/retrieving sessions can be computing intensive.  I think session
data signed and not encrypted is the way to go.

With respect to scalability, the "computation" here is the saving to the
filesystem.  This is the burden to move from the server to the client with
cookie-based session.  As I said, imagine you have 100 users active, the
difference will be accessing the local filesystem for 100 of them, versus
none (when you move this burden to the client).