If this is of any help, I tried tracing basic login in tools.py, and
figured out variable "basic" never gets value from
current.request.env.http_authorization, so username and password never get
passed through.

On the local server, that value gets populated and basic login works as
expected... If anyone can share any advice where else to look for a
problem, please do. Sorry for going crazy here :)

tools.py

    def basic(self):
        """
        perform basic login.
        reads current.request.env.http_authorization
        and returns basic_allowed,basic_accepted,user
        """
        if not self.settings.allow_basic_login:
            return (False,False,False)
        basic = current.request.env.http_authorization
        if not basic or not basic[:6].lower() == 'basic ':
            return (True, False, False)
        (username, password) = base64.b64decode(basic[6:]).split(':')
        return (True, True, self.login_bare(username, password))