Ok, I made a sample app from scratch.  I added the db code to the default
db.py and added the model to to default.py.  Here is what I added to db.py:

db.define_table('image',
   Field('title', unique=True),
   Field('file', 'upload'),
   format = '%(title)s')

db.define_table('comment',
   Field('image_id', 'reference image'),
   Field('author'),
   Field('email'),
   Field('body', 'text'))

Here is the code I added to default.py:

@auth.requires_login()
def manage():
   grid = SQLFORM.smartgrid(db.image)
   return locals()

That is ALL that I added to the default app and it works fine.  I'd suggest
you do the following:

1. Update to the latest trunk version of web2py
2. Create a 'New Simple App' from the admin interface.
3. Add the above model code to db.py
4. Add the above controller code to default.py

Run the app, register a new account.  Run the app and it should work fine.
 It all worked for me on the first try.

-Jim