I'm certainly no expert, but I'm also on webfaction and you may want to
consider using nginx/uwsgi. At least in my case, there was very little I
needed to worry about in terms of configuration/memory management. Just two
tricks:

- no need to install nginx, as you can just use webfaction's nginx instance
(there is a recipe floating around that has you build/install a local copy.
there may be some advantages to this, but I found it to be unnecessary)
- make sure to use uwsgi's "reload-on-rss" option to make sure the process
doesn't keep consuming more and more memory - webfaction kill your
processes if you go over your limit. There's a number of posts on this
topic in this forum.

In general, it's a fast server and relatively straightforward set up. Might
be more suitable for your needs than fiddling with apache config files.

Neil