Thanks guys.  I got it working with web2py_component.  What an amazing
resource!  This ajax stuff is actually getting approachable to javascript
novices like me.

The final user interface has tabs that select different forms, and on one
of the tabs an accordion that exposes multiple forms.  It's all
demand-loaded and works perfectly with the submit button and response.flash
stuff.  And I'm only missing a modest amount of hair from pulling out it
out doing javascript debugging!

-- Joe