I'm not the creator of the code in web2py_bootstrap.js that manages the
dropdown behavior, I only added the code to adjust it on resize event.

Originally the bootstrap dropdown hasn't a hover event (in this article the
reasons explained
http://markdotto.com/2012/02/27/bootstrap-explained-dropdowns/)
The code in web2py makes possible to show/hide - with a fade effect - the
dropdown main container, while the menu and submenus items navigation is
provided by bootstrap itself.

That said, I don't think that the odd behavior noticed by you is due to js
code. I didn't have any notice of that (actually topbar has class
nav-inverse) in IE9, IE8, FF last versions, OP last versions and CH last
versions on windows7. Only in IE7 web2py dropdown has some showing issue
but I have already submitted a patch.

Could you delete following rule in web2py_bootstrap.css (in "other rules"
section row 178) and see if your issue disappears?

.navbar-inner{
  position:relative; /*unnecessary ??*/
}

Anyway if you are interested,  there is a small snippet in order to use
hoverintent with bootstrap dropdown here<http://stackoverflow.com/a/12960711>