Sure, you could use an integer instead of a "reference" and there would be
no circular reference (since the DAL doesn't "know" the integer refers to
another table).  But you would also lose the power of having a foreign key
defined on the table.

It may be the best compromise in this case.  Massimo and I exchanged some
messages on the topic and we decided to just let people know "don't use
circular references and lazy_tables" for now.

-- Joe