I am unable to update entries in my database. I think I have an idea of why
this may be, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing this.

In my controller, I have:

tform = SQLFORM.factory(
        Field('is_tutor', 'boolean'),
        *[f for f in db.tutor if f.name.startswith('t_')],
        table_name='tutor')

if tform.process().accepted:
        if tform.vars.is_tutor:
            if not auth.has_membership('Tutors'):
                auth.add_membership('Tutors')
            db(db.tutor.user == auth.user_id).update(
                t_Hourly_Rate = tform.vars.t_Hourly_Rate,
                t_Image = tform.vars.t_Image,
                t_Qualifications = tform.vars.t_Qualifications,
                t_Subjects = tform.vars.t_Subjects,
                t_Location = tform.vars.t_Location,
                t_Biography = tform.vars.t_Biography
            )
        else:
            if auth.has_membership('Tutors'):
                auth.del_membership('Tutors')
        response.flash = T('Profile updated!')
    elif tform.errors:
        response.flash = T('There was an error with your submission')

However, when I submit the form I am just getting a bunch of 'None' values. I
think the problem may be that
I'm trying to update db(db.tutor.user == auth.user_id) but if db.tutor.user
does not exist, it is not being assigned
the value of the currently logged in user (auth.user_id)
How can I go about fixing this??
Thanks