Suppose I want to store some data in the database, defining my own
translation from user-defined strings to db representation, and vice versa.
 Obviously this may not work for search, but leave search aside.

To translate from user input to db representation, I can use the compute=
attribute of a Field.
But how can I translate from db representation to editable string?  There
is represent= , but it does something else.

The context in which I need this is dates.
I would like that, if a user leaves a date blank, I replace it in the db
with a certain date (for instance, Year = MINYEAR, or YEAR = MAXYEAR, to
imply that the date is far in the past or future, so that searches with < >
will work properly).   But, when the user edits the field, I want to
restore the blank field, not have them edit a date of Jan 1, 0000 !  That
would be illogical, since they never entered that date.

This is a very general problem I imagine.  Is there a way to define such
translations between stored and editable values in web2py?  Can it be
added?  Where would one go to add it?

Luca