I suspect that what I've got to tell you is not all that useful as I just
wanted to try out web2py and using EC2 was an easy way of doing it. I don't
have any longterm need to run it on EC2.

Like you I didn't really want to get involved in using Apache but I did use
the script you reference originally just because I was trying out different
things.

Having used the script you described web2py.py was then installed
in /home/www-data/web2py and so from thhere I executed :

$ sudo python web2py.py --password=foo --port=8000  --ip=0.0.0.0

I hope that's of some use - you'll probably get fuller advice from others.

regards

Richard

I found the easiest way to access the admin functions was to set up a SSH
tunnel into the EC2 instance which avoided me having to set up certs etc to
access the admin functions.

Hope that's of some use.

regards

Richard.