> It is conceivable that multiple update records on a single entry be done,
> due to complex conditions (e.g. under certain conditions, you update stock
> but not description, etc.)
>
> Since web2py either commits or rollbacks at the end of each request, all
> the works are done then.  Therefore, it makes sense certain optimization
> can be done to reduce these 3 queries to only 1 query.

Certain what ?
I really don't get the meaning of this and it's starting to feel a little
nonsense arguing that web2py doesn't "optimize" what are you *forcing* it
to do.... if you use product.update_record() 3 times it's because you *need*it.
If you don't need to update the records on the db every change of
"attribute" (for ORM, "column" for DAL), nobody is forcing you to use the
update_record() statement.

e.g., you could easily do
product.update(description = 'product description')
product.update(stock = 11)
product.update(code = 'abcfed')
mind that these are only updates on the "dict" object representing the row,
without any SQL fired to save those changes on the db.

You can then use
product.update_record()

that fires the only required query at the end of your code.