The question title pretty much describes the undesired behavior.

Functions in most controllers are index, add, edit, view.  Everything is OK
when rendering index views.  When rendering add, edit, or view, the
dropdowns never appear.  Some of the main menu items have no associated
URL, so the submenu items are completely unavailable at that time.

I'm using unmodified layout.html and out of the box static/js and
static/css.

The only change is an added css file to override some of the white space at
the top of the page.  You can find that below, after my plea for help.  I
don't think it's the source of the problem because the problem stays even
when I don't include the file.

Any hints as to the cause or a possible fix or workaround?

.crumb_trail {
    font-size:1.25em;
    color:#275B90;
    margin-bottom:.75em;