Have you though about adding a table to define the relation between 'index'
and the text:

db_actions.define_table('actions',
Field(name, length=20, label='Action'))

Then modify db_events so field index looks like:

Field('index', db.actions, label='Action),

Table actions would then have three records,

Quiet
Running
Fail

This should then automatically display the right value - the only problem
is that it wouldn't guarantee that the index would be 0, 1, and 2.  It
would be whatever the primary key on the actions table worked out to be.

The other way to handle it would be to write a custom validator that
changed the numeric value as you mentioned.  I haven't done that before,
but heard it isn't that difficult.

-Jim