>    Your XML(form.custom......) command worked!!.* But simply writing the
> form statement in HTML did not .* I am customizing the auth.login() form
> here. In my default.py, i have dict(form=auth.login()) statement.

Now if i simply manually write a form in pure HTML in the view file, will
> web2py be able to map this form to the auth login form ?. Or do i need any
> form name to be specified ? This is the only form in my page.

I was only suggesting doing that first line manually, not the entire form.
When web2py serializes a form, it includes two hidden fields -- _formname
and _formkey, which are needed for processing. Those fields are included as
part of {{=form.custom.end}}, or you can insert them directly via
{{=form.hidden_fields()}}. The values of those fields are stored in
form.formname and form.formkey as well.

Anthony