I do not think it s a js issue, because there's no js error and after
removing the js (my own, not web2py's), the problem is still there.

Say I have a controller f

def f():
  form = ....
  if form.processes(onvalidation=...).accepted:
      session.flash = 'Test'
      redirect(URL('f', args=form.vars.id))

Session.flash does not work for this particular controller.  For other
controller, it seems fine.

This also is related to what I think another web2py bug.  The reason I had
to redirect to the same controller after form submission, is because the
model has some fields of type list:integer.  The problem is that when you
have a list of integers with duplicates values, web2py (probably form),
does not process that properly;

===> Web2py essentially messes up everything when you have a list:integers
with same values **and** you do not redirect.

This is why I had to redirect, but when I redirect to the same update page,
session flash does not seem to work (for this particular controller).