I tried to persuade the web2py emailer to use a full name (like: 'My Name
<mym...@mail.com>') in the From: header by setting it in the headers argument,
but it didn't work: From continued to be set to the value of sender (the bare
email address).

As I read the code, From is initialized to the value of sender, but should be
overridden by headers. And for reference, if I set 'X-From' instead, that did
end up in the headers as I would have expected.

The Python smtplib suggests that it doesn't mess with the embedded headers. I
suppose it could be happening farther down the line, and eventually I'll do
some experimentation, but I thought I'd see whether anyone on the list has
solved the problem first.