I am moving to a recent web2py version, and I realize that now the json
parameters are parsed inside tools.serve_jsonrpc. Previously I was parsing
them in my jsonrpc controller, so that means I have to adapt my
controllers. Unexpected, but I can manage.

My question is:

Should I do simplejson.dumps in my controller for the reply, or is this now
also done automatically in tools.serve_jsonrpc? I do not see that.

I am asking because it looks inconsistent that the parameters are
automatically parsed from json, but the reply is not automatically
converted to json.

Maybe the reply must not always be json, I am not sure about that.